Director of Information Systems and Geographic Information System (GIS) REPOSE
Previous applicants do not need to apply to be considered
Position: Director of Information Systems and Geographic Information System (GIS)
Wage scale: $ 58,862 – $ 64,973
Primary objective: Performs managerial and professional work in the management and operations of the County Information Technology and Geographic Information System (GIS) system.
Also performs responsible systems applications and technical computer work to produce and update Geographic Information System (GIS) tax maps and GIS data for the county. Essential
• Manages the information system, including applications, systems, networks, personal computers, including hardware and software.
• Analyze needs, recommend upgrades, assign devices and ensure configuration; makes programming changes to the mainframe software to update and modify programs for more efficient and effective use.
• Plans long-term needs for county information technology needs.
• Research and recommend hardware and software requirements for a variety of county departments.
• Provides suppliers, specifications and proposal analysis, coordination and support for installation and conversion.
• Performs hardware repairs on computers and a variety of peripheral equipment.
• Responsible for the technical operation and maintenance of hardware and software.
• Creates and maintains GIS data files, prepares and maintains real estate maps and records, and troubleshoots the system.
• Manages complex installation and configuration of computer data entry and data loading into the system.
• Responsible for maintaining maps, files and records, and assisting the public and other county employees with inquiries, copies or maps and map overlays related to maps.
• Involves extensive contact with the public and requires tact and courtesy, as well as teamwork to accomplish tasks.
• Some works are related to the configuration of parcels difficult to trace from descriptions of deeds and survey maps; determine the facades of the roads and the rights-of-way; assign package identification numbers; and generate special cadastral maps.
• Train county staff and staff in the use and operation of the systems; provides user support for hardware and software.
• Operates and maintains GIS hardware and software, creates and maintains GIS data, prepares and maintains special or difficult property maps, and oversees system installation.
Updates special property records initiated by registering legal documents; traces plots, plots, new subdivisions and other immovable property on cadastral plans and registers using computer-aided tracing and drawing equipment; enter the coordinates into the computer.
• Maintains GIS databases, troubleshoots the system, and loads data into the computer.
• Assigns new 911 addresses in accordance with county policy and standards.
• Exercise independent judgment and demonstrate initiative within established guidelines.
• Reports to the county director.
• Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Considerable knowledge of current data processing technology in hardware, software, troubleshooting issues in a variety of applications used on mainframe, personal computers and network systems.
• Considerable knowledge of integrating computer technology into the public sector environment for a variety of applications and purposes.
• Considerable knowledge of systems analysis and IT operational policies, procedures and practices.
• In-depth knowledge of computerized GIS system and hardware functions.
• Considerable knowledge of state coordinate systems and PIN assignment methods.
• Ability to design systems to produce special scale maps and to perform precise calculations.
• Ability to maintain complete GIS map records.
• Ability to accurately read, compare and interpret maps and property records.
• Ability to read and interpret records, statements and aerial photographs.
• Ability to handle card inquiries and inquiries from the public with tact and courtesy.
• Ability to supervise, train and coordinate staff in consultation with departments and staff in IT operations.
• Ability to analyze, diagnose and resolve computer hardware and software problems.
• Ability to install and maintain hardware and software programs.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with users of the system in the county.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Willingness to stay current and actively seek out new information and technologies in the operation and processing of computer systems.
Physical demands must be able to perform the basic operational support functions of walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, speaking, hearing and movement repetitive. Must be able to perform sedentary work, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and / or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Must possess visual acuity to prepare and analyze numbers, operate a computer terminal, perform mechanical tasks in the computer environment, perform in-depth readings, and perform visual inspections of computer parts and automated data.
Minimum education and experience requirements: Bachelor’s degree with a major in data processing, computer operations or a related field and five years of experience as a computer systems analyst, programmer or information systems administrator, including two years of supervisory experience; or, Bachelor’s degree with courses in geography or computer science, specialized writing or cartography courses and considerable experience in real estate mapping, including working with a GIS database or an equivalent combination of education and training. experience.
Additional information: Valid North Carolina driver’s license required to serve in a disaster. How to Apply: Interested applicants should complete and submit an Application for the State of North Carolina (PD-107) to: NC Works Career Center 2836 Neuse Boulevard New Bern, NC 28562 Or Angelica Hall, Director of Human Resources 418 Hwy 58N , Unit A Trenton, NC 28585 Closing Date: Open until filled. Jones County is an Equal Opportunity Employer